Sunday, April 15, 2012

Drive-by Truckers 4/11/12, Florida Theater- Gainesville, FL


I thought the Pensacola show was as good as it gets until Gainesville blew it right out of the water. The band took it to another level. Cooley seemed to be having an absolute blast. Patterson was climbing all over the place by the last tune. Neff doing the rock star thang. Even Brad seemed to be into it more than usual. The venue was hot and pretty ragged...perfect for DBT I guess! Oh and the unveiling of the back-drop (Wes Freed) caught me totally off gaurd. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Highlights: Marry Me is a regular tune in the rotation, but this version soared to heights I've never heard. People Who Died was sheer insanity on stage. I could care less for the tune but it's hard not to enjoy it when Patterson is climbing all over the place!

Quote of the night: Cooley right before the start of Let There Be Rock, after Patterson introduced Scott and Will: "that lead guitar is hot but not for a Louisiana man". It's great to see Cooley having a good time.

This one goes down as my favorite DBT show because of the pure joy on display by the band. I've never enjoyed watching them play as much I did in Gville. Well done guys!

Setlist:
4th Night of My Drinking
Get Downtown
I'm 18
3 Dimes Down
Used to Be A Cop
Uncle Frank
My Sweet Annette^
Love Like This
Mecry Buckets (Dedicated to Patterson's wife with story of how they met in the circus)
Marry Me
Lookout Mountain
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Sinkhole
Gravity's Gone
Company I Keep
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Hell No I Ain't Happy

Zip City
Let There Be Rock*
People Who Died

^Scott Danbom on violin
*with Scott Danbom and Will Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment